Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Call me crazy. Or not.

It's inaugural post! I am fresh off a 10.81 mile run followed up immediately by a chocolate ice cream cone and 48oz of water. I am 2 weeks away from my second 1/2 marathon and 6 days past my potentially crazy decision to run the Portland Marathon on 10/5/08.

I have 11 years of running (not always very consistently, such are the college days- who does anything consistently in college?) behind me, and not very many races post-high school cross country. So call me crazy, but I think I'm ready for the next BIG challenge :-)

Like many other triathletes and runners I find that I learn something new each time I head out the door. Sometimes it's something small, something maybe I should have learned long ago, like the importance checking the air in my tires. Other times the pendulum swings the other direction and mid-way through a long run I find the answer to something that has been rolling around in my brain for too long- a decision left unmade that suddenly becomes so obvious. For me, triathlon and running are a way to reach that "space between". The space where, even with a list of so many things to do waiting for me at home or at work, all I have to do right now is make sure I put one foot in front of the other, stay alert on the bike and always *or almost always* remember to unclip, try not to run into the other person in my swim lane, and monitor my water/fuel. The glorious simplicity of it is what inspires me. Which is not to say that I am a naturally "zen" person: perhaps this is why I need to exercise- my zen moments are forced upon me by sheer exhaustion?

In any case, it's all worth it for a chocolate ice cream cone and an awesome excuse to take a nap!


No comments: