Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tour de Jacaranda

I did my last long run before the See Jane Run Half Marathon this morning. I realized part way into my first mile that it was prime time for the purple trees that are in bloom right now and a slight alteration to my route would take me down numerous streets that were just teeming with jacarandas. I felt great the entire run. Tried to have it be as much of a dress rehearsal for the race as possible- similar time, food, etc. So that meant I started to take an espresso flavored Clif Shot at mile 5 and nursed it the rest of the way like I do in therace. I don't know if I stopped paying attention or what, but I managed to get sticky goo all over my hands and ipod...oops.

So I'm feeling really good about the race and the distance, etc. My left IT band was really bugging me today- usually it's my right side so who knows what's up with that. I'll focus on stretching a lot between now and the race and hope that I'm loose enough that they just go with the flow.

Today's entertainment was the Zen and the Art of Triathlon podcast, which coincidentally is singing the praises of chocolate milk today- something that I was just about to do. I try to religiously do an ice bath after a 10+ mile run and I think that helps enormously. My other recovery tool is a high protein, high sugar fuel immediately after the run (as in today I ended my run at the grocery store and walked my sweaty self in to buy my chocolate milk to drink on the walk home). I swear it's a miracle drink- especially if you are prone to any blood sugar issues. I used to spend my long run days starving and then eating nonstop, but now that I am fueling immediately afterwards I avoid the blood sugar disaster that is not consuming anything until after the ice bath, shower, etc. Try it!

No comments: