Tuesday, June 10, 2008

First Tire Blow Out & Onto the 3s

I had this brilliant idea to bike/train commute to work yesterday. I mapped out a route that would allow me to avoid the seriously busy LA streets- think Sunset, Beverly & Santa Monica Boulevards. I pumped my tires up on the way out the door and made it to the train, from one train to the other, back up to the street and 2 out of 5 miles into my ride. I was just thinking to myself "Biking in LA isn't that bad! this is great! I love biking!" when BOOM! my rear tire exploded. Not just a flat, but the sidewall has a 4 inch gap in it now. So me and my sad little bike got on the bus for the rest of the way and Boyfriend had to come rescue us at the end of the day. Sad. The funny thing is, I had brought my hand pump and patch kit for, yep, the first time EVER. I have been biking since I went to college and not once did I bring those things with me. And not once did I need them. The one day I cart them along...

But I'm not discouraged- I'm off to buy new tires (going to go ahead and replace the front one too, it is time...) and tomorrow we'll try again!

In running news: 3 miles easy on the treadmill this morning. Or I should say the running part was easy-- the treadmill is a serious mental test for me though. I really just can't handle it! Even when I cover up the clock all I can think it "am I almost done? has it been another minute? ohmygod, it's only been 8 minutes?!" and such. Not good, since I am inevitably going to be running on the mill at least occasionally in rainy Portland. I also forgot it was summer pool hours since it's June and missed my chance to swim this a.m. too. So back to the gym this evening for my first swim in forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope your ride tomorrow is better. I am the same way on the treadmill. It really is a mental game, I don't know how some people can run on one everyday.