Tuesday, June 3, 2008

See Jane Run Race Report

So, today I logged on to check my exact time and found out that I had run 2 minutes faster than I thought! My time was 1:55:33. Which is Awesome! And here are the details:

I flew up to the Bay Area for the race and got to see some friends while I was there. Which meant going out on Friday night and trying to choose the lightest bar food possible for my pre-race meal (but I'd had pasta for 3 days straight before that). Got to bed around 10:30 and slept okay until I had to get up at 4:45.

We got to the course, ate a couple of mini bagels on the way, and I joined the longggggg bathroom line (an all women's race=waiting forever to use the bathroom...) and they had some pre-race entertainment in the form of aerobics and stretching, which I thankfully missed out on while in the bathroom.

I joined the 10 min/mile group because it was as far forward as I could get in the crowd, and thought that would slow me down in the beginning, but for once the minute the race started we were Running. No walking to get enough room- straight into the race. Which actually threw me a bit because I didn't have my ipod ready, but I quickly got that taken care of and was off.

I had spotted a woman about my age and thought "she looks about my pace" based on nothing other than looks, which is about the least scientific method ever but I just had a feeling-- we ran that entire race together! at no point was she further than 100 feet away, and she had on a really similar outfit so we looked like we were together I'm sure.

The first 3 miles were a little rough mentally-- my stomach was a little weird, the weather was cold and foggy and 13 miles all of sudden seemed really long. I got past that hurdle and sped things up, once it was "less than 10 miles to go" I was much more comfortable I guess.

I was feeling great around mile 8-9 and picked it up about 10 notches and passed a whole bunch of people, all the while thinking they'd pass me back but I didn't ever see any of them again which was nice! I had had the Clif Shot Double Espresso between miles 4.5-8 and that is the way for me to eat those- slowly, but somehow I also got it all over my hand which meant being really sticky for the rest of the race which was a little annoying.

Mile 10-13 were the same as 1-3 but felt wayyyy longer, and were slightly uphill. At mile 12 I was really ready to be done and the slight incline was enough to keep me from just sprinting to the finish so that last mile was a little long.

Food and water wise I just had the one Clif Shot and then ran through all the water stops so I probably didn't get much more than 10 oz. into my mouth... I didn't stop at all actually which wasn't exactly the plan but it got me in under 2 hours!

After the race it was Freezing but the expo was great and the food excellent and there was champagne which was fun. Post-race I got in an pseudo ice-bath- just stood in the cold pool for a while and then stretched a bunch. Went on my day-after bike ride and while my IT bands weren't happy about that at the time it helped overall.

The only soreness at all is the IT band, which is to be expected for me and given the serious grade on the course I am surprised it's not worse actually. And nothing else hurts at all!! so am I ready to do the marathon?! hmm. I think so! it definitely won't be easy, especially mentally. On the race course there was a sign the race organizers had put up that said "You only have to convince your mind you can do it", and that is so true for me. I think that will be my marathon mantra!

I'm psyched with my time and place and moving into marathon training starting with a mini-run today or tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done!! I think running is definitely mental. You really have to tell yourself that you can do it.

Here's to marathon training!!